As IIMS and MSA start to work remotely, CEO, Mike Schwarz, has released a short video for the various communities the organisations serve. Watch the video below:
Auckland based IIMS member, Capt Barry Thompson, a stalwart of the Institute and until recently, the Branch Regional Director, was announced as the winner of the Outstanding Contribution to the Commercial Shipping Marine Surveying Industry Award category at a ceremony in London recently.
Capt Thompson said, “The Institute and the surveying profession are close to my heart. Thank you very much for the recognition. I am most grateful and feel very humble.”
The person who nominated Capt Thompson for this prestigious award said,
“Barry has been a stalwart member of our Institute since the early inception of the IIMS over many years. Despite being in one of the remotest outposts of the IIMS empire, Barry has continuously supported the organisation and was the founder and chairman of our first overseas branch in New Zealand. Barry gained immense respect with the New Zealand Government maritime department. Through Barry’s sage advices he became an adviser to the department enabling them to draft national standards and protocols. He is a Master Mariner, consummate diplomat, author of various books and other journals and manuals and various technical papers.”
Barry has finally taken the decision to step down in favour of a younger man, Mike Austin, who assumes the role with immediate effect.
The IIMS head office would like to thank Barry for his safe stewardship of the branch over the years.
The September 2016 issue of the Report Magazine has been published and is available to read online. Follow this link: IIMS Report Magazine
• IIMS 25th Anniversary Conference and AGM. Full report and photos
• RNLI marine surveyors helping to save lives at sea
• Debunking the myths of the safety management system
• Why enhancing your standards as a surveyor really matters
• Verified Gross Mass – new regulations
• The hidden dangers of carbon monoxide afloat
• Synthetic (Composite) Rigging – An introduction
• A comparison of lashings for heavy lift cargoes
• A marine surveyor’s report on the new ‘Insurance Act 2015’
• A day in the life of Paul Homer
International Institute of Marine Surveying (IIMS) New Zealand Branch has launched its own website.